As outlined in the article Programming ATMEL microprocessors on a Mac, installing the AVR toolchain on the Mac can be a long and tedious procedure. Downloading, compiling and installing all the stuff can take up to 6 hours!
For a workshop I gave recently we tried to simply copy over all the binaries in /usr/local/avr/ and it worked.
Now I wrapped the whole thing into a nice installer package, see below.
Installation time: < 5min. And the best part: you don't even need the Apple Developer Tools anymore (1.85 Gig !)
- AVR Toolchain Installer for PowerPC (.dmg 22.9 MB)
- AVR Toolchain Installer for Intel Macs (.dmg 26.3 MB)
- You may still need/want to download and install an uploader/downloader tool to program your AVR, like avrdude or uisp.
- Don’t forget to add the avr directory to your environment variable $PATH, like so, for example: Type into a new terminal window
echo 'export PATH=/usr/local/avr/bin:$PATH' >> ~/.bash_profile, close the window and open a new session…
- And beware: this is the first version, use at your own risk, and share your experience in the comments. Thank you.
Other Useful Tools
For a more complete and up-to-date installer you might want to take a look at AVR MacPack