[ a n y m a | research – blog ]
news from the lab…
Videobass2011-Prototype: Building the body
Categories: Videobass

For the design of the new Videobass I decided to go with a more classic guitar look. I built a template from MDF and wrapped it with 4mm thin sheets of plywood. I soak the plywood in water for some days to make it more elastic. Sheet after sheet then gets glued and pressed for half a day until it is dry again. The result is very sturdy and I really like the looks of it.

As this is just a prototype, I didn’t work very carefully because I also wanted to see what could possibly go wrong to improve the process. The sheets didn’t always line up very well, especially on the underside, mostly due to the pressing blocks not being at a straight angle. I fixed this for the next run today…

The really hard thing to do is the cutout for the fingerboard. It has to be terribly precise at all angles – not something I’m very strong at… 😉

Another thing I tried with this prototype is to make a cutout with the router for an inlay of the back plexi. More as this develops…

Leave a Reply